elysium exposed

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Oh Toronto.

This morning walking on the way to work, these two gorgeous ladies, who were probably close friends.. were diagonally crossing my path from the left. Habitually.. I made a sudden stop. I usually tend to stop if I feel someone is going to cross my path, old highschool habit from the hallways, so you don't try to take over or bump in. I'm sure it gets annoying to some people -- but foot walk has traffic rules in my head too :) I hadn't realized the one on the right had ignored her friend -- who was talking to her, smiled at me and said thank you, until after the fact -- because I was zoned out, thinking about something else. It was as if she was waiting for a response.. Obviously me wearing sunglasses doesn't help the lack of eye contact. Within seconds, there were 20 more people on the scene and we'd gone our merry ways. I just realized that was the first smile of the day. Even a split second makes a difference.

In this cosmopolitan city, atleast at the heart of downtown toronto, there exists a variety of people. I like to observe and often wonder what someone's life is like. Could be the artsy looking dude at the cafe, or the lady that looks like she's worried about an upcoming real estate deal. The ones that hurry like ants in the morning rush hour.. then return again in the afternoon to make their way back. It's rare to see personal contact.. But experiences such as today's suggest there are good hearted people, and everyone has a little something to offer.

Ironically, I was thinking of the amount of independence the city offers when the incident happened this morning. I was thinking about how busy these people are, how they have a night life, and perhaps have no limits to their fun. Then I realized, everyone is still working hard, paying bills, dealing with a family -- life isn't quite the fantasy .. unless you're an irresponsible teen or early twenties with no dependants. Everyone does have a limit. Their individual ways may be different.. Their faith, creed and culture, may be different.. yet they interact, and depend on each other. I'm still happy I live here though. I love it. :)

5 Comments:

  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Asmaa said…

    I agree, Toronto is an ideal place to live (but then, it's the only place I've ever lived, so I'm somehwat biased).

    It's always nice to see a little humanity in a city where everyone is so distant.

    When I first started university, I loved traveling on the subway just so I could observe people. That wore off soon enough as I became absorbed in my own issues.

    When some random person extends some kindness towards me, it grabs me by surprise and it makes me day, really. So to everyone out there, hold open doors, give up your seat on the bus...and all that jazz. :)

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger elysium said…

    Thank you for the comment.
    When I started transit first I used to take pride in standing even if there were empty seats.. then slowly .. I used to give up seats to everyone.. now it's only for special people, because not everyone is 'awesome' :)

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Asmaa said…

    Uhh I'm awesome, so give your seat up to me. Now.
    (thanks for the comment on the blog, nerd)

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger elysium said…

    I suppose that's an unanimous acceptance of nerdhood, then, since you claim to be awesome!

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Asmaa said…

    Oh, you don't know the half of it. Yes yes, I am amazing - but that's not the main issue at hand.

    I'm the head of a new organization in town: "Nerds united for world domination."

    I have also been dubbed "Queen of Nerds" (and I have a certificate to indicate thus).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home